Friday, June 03, 2005

Are You Getting Enough Water?

We have been hearing for some time now that we should drink at least 8 glasses of water a day. New research suggests that there are other ways you can stay hydrated. Sports drinks do a good job of hydrating the body plus they put back some of the electrolytes, such as potassium and sodium, lost through perspiration.

If you are dieting water is by far the best way to stay hydrated. Plus there are other benefits; water takes up space in your stomach, which will result in a feeling full after consuming less food. Another proven fact is that when you are dehydrated your body can signal hunger as well as thirst; so staying hydrated should result in you eating less.

If you just can’t stand the taste of it, try adding lemon, try sparkling water, or there are many flavored waters on the market today. If none of these options appeal to you, diet pop is a reasonable option. You can also try introducing water in small amounts to your daily liquid consumption, start with 1 glass of water per day, and try adding one more glass each week until you are consuming 6 to 8 glasses.

11 Comments:

At 11:26 AM, Blogger mermaid said...

Cucumber in water also works well...

 
At 10:30 PM, Blogger Neel said...

Wow, I never knew that and I love cucumber.

 
At 3:10 PM, Blogger Nicole Braganza said...

Thanks for that Neel. I drink way too much diet coke and too little water. Sometimes just 2 glasses a day! I know its really bad for my body. I really will try to increase the H2O intake slowly as suggested.

 
At 6:11 PM, Blogger Neel said...

hi Nicole, you are welcome. Mermaid suggested putting cucumber in the water for flavor. You can also put lemon, lime, grapefruit, orange, etc. It may make it more enjoyable for you. I love sparkling water, but still is good too!

 
At 12:14 PM, Blogger Lorena said...

very good. i drink water instead of soda. i love it. in fact i'm drinking it now with a chocolate chip cookie. my only problem is that i love coffee. i heard that dehydrates you.

mermaid, my friend made cucumber juice and it was wonderful, all natural.

 
At 6:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

thanks for that neel.i dont drink enough water a day :) now i know !

 
At 12:20 AM, Blogger Neel said...

Lorena, that is great. I drink way over the recommended amount of water per day, but I just love the stuff. i think anyone can learn to like it. The best way is probably to get really thirsty like working in the yard, then go for a nice cold glass of water, it will taste lovely, like natures perfect elixer.

Eden, thanks for dropping by. Its easily changed just try increasing the water you drink in a day slowly. You might prefer it with ice, or lemon or whatever at first but you will learn to love it in no time!

 
At 12:42 AM, Blogger Neel said...

ramchi, any suggestions? I will be posting some training articles soon. thanks for visiting!

 
At 4:21 AM, Blogger Pallavi said...

yeah water seems to be a very important factor is washing out toxins .. My regime has a at least 4 bottles of water everyday..

the only downturn is that I have to visit the restroom very often... LOL but according to my dietician.. it works well in removing agents that might turn into fat :)

 
At 5:10 AM, Blogger Pallavi said...

and here is my nutritionist's blog.. very sensible she is.. :) http://lisamiraclediet.com/

 
At 9:44 PM, Blogger Neel said...

Pallavi, thank you for both of your posts you make very good point. I will address them in my next post.

Barbie, Thank you, its an excellent question. I will write something for you about this subject right away.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home