Sunday, July 10, 2005

Stubborn fat deposits

Barbie writes:

I have asked many people what to do about that stubborn fat right by your shoulders and armpits. (Girls I'm sure you know what I mean when you're wearing a tank and you put your arms down and it looks like you have mini boobs in your armpits!) Well, I've heard that you're supposed to do push-ups, but when I do then it just seems to make my shoulders larger and do NOTHING for the stubborn fat. Any suggestions?

A few years ago I read a book called the "Miracle Diet"; the author claims that if you follow his technique you can successfully spot reduce fat. Actually, there is no such thing as spot reduction I have read a great deal on the subject and tried it myself. I too have had some fat deposits in the same place you speak of, but so does my dad, yours is probably also hereditary. Doing pushups or any other exercise for the pectoral muscles will only strengthen (and perhaps increase the size of) the muscle underneath.

You are within your healthy weight range, but to get rid of those spots you will need to decrease your body fat percentage. The best way to lose excess fat is by increasing the amount of aerobic exercise you are doing. Probably the easiest way to do this is to buy a pedometer. Measure the amount of steps you take per day, for a more accurate reading, do this over a week and take an average. Try increasing the amount of steps to take per day by 2 to 3000. Walking a mile burns as many calories as running a mile. You can also do exercises with no weight. Lifting your arms over your head as if you were doing shoulder presses will burn calories and you will feel a burn in your muscles as the glycogen stores get depleted. Just keep doing your exercises until you can't do any more.

It may take some time before you start to see results, but try measuring the area with a measuring tape. Try your workout for a week, and then take another measurement, and so on. Let me know if this works for you, we can always add more exercises or turn the heat up a bit, good luck!

6 Comments:

At 1:43 AM, Blogger Pallavi said...

yeah this Miracle diet is wonderful I tell you and the best part about it that that you have a balanced meal of everything including non veg.. and you will lose weight and unecessary fat just by sticking to this routine of walk,, water.. healthy food and well its a lifestyle that I have adopted...

Dieting should not be a fad.. as I realised it should be a lifestyle.. something of a discipline..

And with this one can freak out twice a week too on fatty foods.. if one keeps to schedule ... after losing and the necessary Kilos.. :)

the funda is 1 kg a week.. and that 1 kg includes inches as well as body weight and takes care of the BMI too.. :)

 
At 7:16 PM, Blogger Neel said...

Pallavi, I totally agree with you. I am glad that your diet is working for you.

Barbie, you're welcome. I am going to post something on using a measuring tape that may help you also.

 
At 7:25 PM, Blogger Neel said...

i probably should have also mentioned that when taking body fat measurements, this (the area near the armpit) is one of the spots where a measurement is taken, because people naturally have an accumulation of fat here.

 
At 7:25 PM, Blogger Neel said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 4:25 PM, Blogger Neel said...

Allison, those are great questions, I will try to answer them all tonight. Thanks!

 
At 1:10 AM, Blogger Neel said...

Allison, I havent forgotten you, truely I have not. This is a fairly difficult question and will have more than a one part answer. I have part of it written, but I am still working on the rest. First I will tackle the question of Calories, then we can discuss BMI and more.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home