Wednesday, August 31, 2005

Stop Cleaning Your Plate

Many of us have been conditioned to eat everything on our plates, and in many circumstances it is considered rude not to eat what is in front of you. I remember my father telling me I could have anything on the menu when we would go out to eat as long as I ate everything on my plate. And we all heard that there were starving children in the world.

I became conditioned over years to eat everything on my plate and I learned to stuff myself to accommodate what was in front of me, I could also manage to choke down horrible tasting food when I had to eat a meal that had been prepared by a distant relative who's heart would be broken if a clean plate was not presented to her, but this could be trouble because they would want to reload it when you were finished.

There are a couple of ways you can reprogram your mind to break this habit. One is to deliberately leave a bit of food on your plate when you finish, it can be a very small amount at first, but as you get better at identifying the feeling of fullness in your stomach you will learn not to go on stuffing yourself. If you eat slowly, chewing every bite carefully before swallowing and putting your fork down between bites, you will allow your brain more time to realize that your body is being fed. Once you are full, that is the time to stop eating, even if you have only eaten half of what is on your plate.

9 Comments:

At 9:06 PM, Blogger mermaid said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 9:10 PM, Blogger mermaid said...

It's hard to do this if you're conditioned to feel guilty for leaving food in your plate. You could be told that your leftovers could feed a whole family somewhere, etc. I like the Jamba Juice slogan, something that goes like this, "Your body is a temple, don't litter here."

 
At 5:48 PM, Blogger Neel said...

Yes, its very hard and that is what this post is about, learning to break that conditioning. I like that saying too!

It should be noted that eating everything on your plate does nothing and can do nothing to help those who are going hungry in the world. If you really wants to help, the way to do it by learning to eat less, then you will not be comsuming as much of these resources.

It is much healthier to eat smaller portions and eat more frequently, than to stuff yourself at one sitting.

 
At 11:31 AM, Blogger Happy Hiker said...

I've found your blog to have some helpful information. Today I am starting to change my eating habits and get back onto a routine exercise program.

I am not considered overweight, but I have noticed some subtle changes in my body. I have also been more tired than usual (less energy.) I believe it has alot to do with my current job.

Any tips for work?

 
At 10:20 PM, Blogger Pallavi said...

I know the exact feeling.. I have take n to taking only very little of everything.. and I have a worse problem.. i eat very fast and the guests think that I have not eaten enough and well try to load my plate... but I have become smarter ... now.. hehe I keep some food left and keep chewing in small chunks and tell them that I have tasted everything and blah blah... LOLOL

I remember my pop telling me to finish what was in my plate... and gave me the hunger ridden children example... Sheesh... LOL

 
At 8:34 PM, Blogger Neel said...

happy hiker, hi and thanks for the compliment. I like your question, and think i can best answer it by writing something more detailed than what I can leave here. however, i would recommend staying hydrated with water, and trying to walk and move more, for example, instead of emailing a coworker, walk to their desk and share the information with them personally. also, if you are drinking coffee and snacking on sugary foods throughout the day, they can have a rebound effect making you feel tired and lethargic.

pavalli, it sounds like you are on the right track. slowing down your eating can be very benificial, studies have shown it takes approximately 20 minutes for the brain to register the consumption of food.

 
At 8:10 PM, Blogger Neel said...

looks like i am going to have to put verification on here to stop the spy-posts.

 
At 7:08 PM, Blogger Michael J. Harris said...

Really awesome job on your low carb diet recipe blog Neel. I'm very
interested in low carb diet recipe stuff and will be back frequently
to check for more posts.

 
At 2:32 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I found your blog bit different from others. Keep on sharing such blogs. We prepare Healthy Diet Plans with the suggestion of nutritionists and get satisfaction of customers.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home